Cleaning and Maintaining your Dishwasher
When you think of a dishwasher, the first thing that comes to mind is cleaning your silver wares and dishes. Well one thing is often ignored or forgotten “cleaning and maintaining your dishwasher”.
It is just right that if it cleans your dishes then it follows that the dishwasher should be clean too. One common factor which affects the performance of a dishwasher is not maintaining it. There will be debris and other deposits that can build up through time. This can bring foul odor to your dishwasher as well as affect its performance.
How to Clean and Maintain a Dishwasher?
The good news is cleaning doesn’t have to be done every day and cleaning your dishwasher is fast and easy. So how do you clean and maintain a dishwasher? Read further to know the ways to clean your dishwasher.
- Always check if you have loaded your dishwasher correctly that is putting the items facing in and down. Make sure to eliminate any debris you find in the little holes you find in its spinning debris. Make use of a thin wire or even a toothpick will do in getting the debris. Take extra care when using gadgets that are made of metal least you scratch your dishwasher.
- Spend time in choosing your dishwasher detergent. Always go for the recommended dishwasher detergent that your dishwasher manual recommends if not check the internet for the best dishwasher detergent to use. Read dishwasher reviews for this, it helps a lot when you choose your product. Dishwasher detergent comes in different form – powder, gel or liquid. Powder is the least expensive of all.
- Before you start your dishwashing routine, run the dishwasher’s garbage disposal first. The dishwasher will drain on the same pipe as your sink so make sure that the drain is clear and free from clogged. Before you start the cleaning always run hot water to your kitchen sink for you to be sure that the water running in your dishwasher is really hot thus you get much cleaner dishes.
- Clean your dishwasher inside and out. Make use of a small brush, you can use an old toothbrush for that matter, with a hot soapy water on the side. Brush the edges of your dishwasher door with the hot soapy water. Make sure you include the crevices of the rubber seal and make sure that you have eradicated all debris that you find at the bottom of the dishwasher. Wet a clean sponge with a cleaning solution and use it to wipe off any dirt from the door.
- Always check out the bottom rack as well as the drain area. Make sure that there are no hard debris that can clog the drain which usually causes damage to the pump and even scratches your plates and glasses.
- To make your dishwasher sparkling clean and smells fresh, put a little baking soda at the bottom of the tub, fill it with hot water and run through a short cycle. Baking soda is good in removing stains and even removing foul odor. Vinegar also works well instead of Baking soda. It also helps sanitize, removes stain as well as foul odor. You can do this once or even twice a month.
- After each use, try to open the door just a little enough for air to go through inside. This will keep your dishwasher dry and free from any odor.
Indeed cleaning and maintaining your dishwasher at regular basis will ensure you of clean and sparkling dishes. You will also be surprise at the high performance of you dishwasher when dishwasher is clean and maintained regularly.