Most home makers do depend in their dishwashers almost every day. They depend on these kitchen appliances to keep their silver wares and dishes sanitized and clean. The common thinking is that dishwashers are also sanitized and clean every time you use it. That is not the case. Your dishwasher can be a source of bacteria or any harmful germs if not clean regularly. When you wash your dirty dishes in the dishwasher, those small particle of foods does not all go to the drain during the washing cycle. If that is the case then these food particles plus the dishwasher stains can be a hotspot for bacteria.
This can be very harmful to you and your family’s health. The build-up and stains can harm your appliances as well and incurs much expense on repairs. Thus it is important to keep your dishwasher clean and sanitize. Clean your dishwasher regularly and use a dishwasher cleaner that works best with your dishwasher.
How to Clean the Dishwasher?
Cleaning your dishwasher is easy. All you need is a sponge or any soft rags, a toothbrush, distilled white vinegar, baking soda and dishwasher cleaner. If you have this ready at home then you are ready to clean your dishwasher.
Steps in cleaning your Dishwasher
- Empty your dishwasher and remove the racks. Check out the spinning arms for any clogged in the holes. Make sure all the holes are free from any debris so that water can flow from it freely. If there is debris in the holes then make sure to remove it with any small point tool. Just make sure not to scratch your spinning arms.
- Do not forget to clean the bottom of the door. This spot is where the water does not go so that it can readily accumulate food debris. Also check out the floor of your dishwasher where the waste water goes. Check out for any debris that might clogged up the area and if you find any build up then remove it.
- Most dishwashers have filters, remove the filters and clean it thoroughly before installing it back in the dishwasher. You can clean the parts with soapy water or a baking soda paste.
- Wipe the seal as well as the sides of the machine especially in the edges.
- If you are using hard water, it won’t be a surprise to find hard water deposits so you can remove it by running your dishwasher empty with a distilled white vinegar. One cycle would do.
- If you find molds and mildew then bleach can solve that problem. You can add one and half cup of bleach in your dishwasher and then run a full cycle. Take note though not to use bleach if your dishwasher’s interior is made of stainless steel.
- You can use a mild spray cleaner for your dishwasher handle and fronts and wipe with a soft rag or towel.
You can use high end dishwasher cleaners. You can find lots of dishwasher cleaner available in the market. Choose the one which best work for your dishwasher. Check out consumers reviews regarding dishwasher cleaner and you will find lots of ideas which product is good. If not you can always make your own dishwasher cleaner. Homemade dishwasher detergent in general are easy to make and is cheaper than any leading brands in the market. Vinegar and baking soda are good materials for cleaning and deodorizing your dishwasher. But if you do not have the time to make such homemade cleaners then shop for a dishwasher cleaner in your nearest grocery store, if not you can always shop online.